• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What are your cold remedy's?

Ds

Bluelight Crew
It's that time of the year. Everyone sneezing, coughing, blowing noses the list goes on!!
Unfortunately for me I'm one of the victims of this cold. It sucks because I don't even feel like getting out of bed.
I have all the above along with a bad sore throat. :(

So what are your cold remedy's?

This one always helps:

thumb-sized piece of ginger
teaspoon of honey
lemon juice

add boiling water and drink!

This one always helps:

teaspoon of honey
lemon juice

That does sound quite good on my sore throat.
Since I really have no tea here, I do have those in the herb pantry.
Thanks

eat very little, drink a lot of green tea, and sleep.

all that down time is perfect for catching up on your reading (if you're up to it).

oh, and buy that "Airborne" cold remedy stuff. Mega vitamin dosage.

Zicam spray, not the DXM kind. Fortunately I don't get sick too often. I also am a big fan of pre-emptive protection ;). Being cognisant of whether or not your hands are clean, what's going into your mouth is clean, or anything else of that nature.

i use yerba mate and cannabis to help relieve the symptoms and congestion.

I take ginger, garlic and lots of juice. goji berry, reishi mushroom, and ecinechia (sp?) speed recovery

I am a big fan of Pseudo-based night and day capsules. In Australia the main brand is Codral. The inconveniance of having my ID checked due to containing pseudoephidrene is far out wayed by it's effectiveness. I double drop them but it is the only way I can work with a mask and snotty nose.

If I can have a few days off I prefer just to buy the nightime capsules and dose them until I am dry and groggy. Usually 2 full days of sleep and the odd honey-lemon tea has me back on my feet. As cliched as it is chicken soup is a great way to stay hydrated and is easy to eat.

This one always helps:

teaspoon of honey
lemon juice

My dad taught me this but he adds alittle splash of I think rum, cant remember if I got the correct spirit

Really strong brewed ginger tea. I boil half of a huge ginger root (chopped into pieces) . No sugar or anything at all....it burns so good :D I also eat a lot of raw garlic with my food.
I also do a lemon juice -bicarbonate drink. I'll post more about it later if you're interested :D

Really strong brewed ginger tea. I boil half of a huge ginger root (chopped into pieces) . No sugar or anything at all....it burns so good :D I also eat a lot of raw garlic with my food.

I like to totally pulvarise the ginger, it brings the burn to a whole new level. Ginger is very fibrous which makes it difficult to crush completely if you don't know how to approach it. I cut the root into slices against the grain then pop the slices in a garlic crusher and push it through, add boiling water let if sit for a minute then strain it. This makes very strong tea with about 2 inches of root..

The triple threat always works for me!

Ok, just mix about 1/2 tsp each of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in a big tea cup, add boiling water and let sit covered for 5 min. Add some lemon juice, and gargle/drink slowly. Adjust amounts as desired and take several times a day. No matter how bad the cold is, this really helps the symptoms.

Don't take right before trying to sleep, as these are all somewhat stimulating (mainly circulatory stim, not CNS stim).

Fresh ginger is better, but if you don't have access, powder works ok.

Why these three?:

Ginger:
Antiemetic
circulatory stimulant
Inhibits coughing
Anti-inflammatory
Antiseptic

Cinnamon:
warming stimulant
antispasmodic
antiseptic
antiviral

Cloves:
Antiseptic
Analgesic --- This is why gargling this concoction is good, it numbs sore throats
prevents vomiting
antispasmodic

Info Source: "Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants" by Andrew Chevallier, DK publishing, 1996

I have bad trouble with my sinuses this time of year. My favorite remedy for that is to heat up a mixture of boiling water with a table spoon of salt and a splash of peroxide. Then just sit back, relax and enjoy the vapors. It clears the sinuses out good and the peroxide helps to ward off infections.

I like to dose with an opiate (because it is both euphoric and a cough suppressant), take high doses of Vitamin C, drink plenty of water (Green tea too!), and curl up with comforter and laptop.

Come to think of it, that is what I enjoy even if I am not sick :D

If you have a sore throat, slippery elm bark works wonders, and can be found at health food stores. Also, I concur about the ginger.

Last edited:
GARLIC. A lot of it.
Fixed a 4 month sinus infection I had that lots of antibiotics couldn't fix.
And then I'll take a multi vitamin or something (I don't usually take them unless I'm sick), some vitamin c, lots of tea.

I try not to take any meds. I'm not sure why. Don't have anything against it??...

Do I just mash the garlic up? Does powder garlic work??

Do I just mash the garlic up? Does powder garlic work??

cut the garlic into small pieces enough for one spoon. then just swallow it raw. Pop a vitamine C tablet, and drink mad apple juice. You won't know where that cold went. believe dat

i like garlic and ginger, as have been mentioned. a couple other go-to's for me:

zinc -- i don't like the lozenges, because they leave my mouth tasting metallic, so i just take a supplement.

nasal irrigation -- a lot of people use Neti pots, but i find the squirt bottle type works well too. either way, great for sinus health and just generally feeling better.

I have somehow cured my sinus congestion *knock on wood* Only thing I can think of that I have done, is...exercised more, and was outside A FUCKING LOT...which is odd, considering it was a cold, ohio winter...maybe it's the exercise that did it? I walked around alot, started working out, when the sinuses get really fucked up, sudafed and mucinex dm helps. Or maybe it's the massive amounts of benadryl I've done in the past few weeks. Idk.